Experts recommend having sex at least three to four times a week if you want to get pregnant. Another option is to track ovulation and have sex every day for the two to three days before you ovulate.
Of course, what experts recommend and what you actually do may be different. There are those who have a sex extravaganza -- sex every day! There are others who time sex for ovulation, but find their libido lacking at other times and may not have sex except the week they ovulate.
How often do you have sex while trying to get pregnant? And do you find it’s more, less, or the same as before you started trying to conceive?Share Your Experience
What about the Standard Days Method?
- Another method that helps women figure out their fertile days is the Standard Days Method. Basically it tells you that your fertile days are between days 8-19 of your cycle. My husband and I had sex every other day during this time and were able to conceive right away three times! Sadly not all three pregnancies stuck, but one did and we now have a very healthy girl. Am looking forward to trying again!
- —Guest Shane
TTC for 2 months
- My boyfriend & I had sex two months ago and thought I was pregnant because I was 2 days late with my period so after I started my period we started wanting a baby so now we have been trying for two months. I got off my period on the 25th so now we have been having sex everyday so I am hoping to conceive this month. *fingers crossed* Wish me luck & good luck to all of you out there trying to conceive also!
- —Guest Cassie
- My husband and I have now been trying for 2 months to conceive. We have been having intercourse every two days, and hoping for the best. I am worried about not being able to conceive, because I was on the depo provera shot and read a few forums about difficulty conceiving when coming off of it, but we will try and see what happens! Good luck to everyone
- —Guest Ashesluvsstu
Trying since 5 months
- Me and my hubby trying since 5 months. Also I'm tracking my ovulation every month and had a sex every week for 5 or 6 times in normal days also except the periods time. Nothing happened yet!
- —Guest Pink2012
How often do you have sex when trying to
- I don't think our sexual activity has changed since trying to get pregnant. In fact I think we are more relaxed because we've decided not to worry about it and just let things happy when they happen.
- —Guest Juli
Trying for over a year!
- Me and my husband has been trying for almost a year now, I tried everything from tracking ovulation with clearblue digital kit (the one with the smily face), to timing sex. Regardless of trying to conceive, we have sex 3-4 times a week, and this didn't change when we decided to try for a baby. However, we maximize our effort around ovulation. We have went through all the possible tests you can imagine to check for any signs of infertility. Thank god everything was normal and my doctor said it is called "unexplained infertility". Well, I'm now thinking of taking some fertility injections that my doctor recommends although I suffer from nothing. The most annoying part is the 2 weeks wait stress every month, am I pregnant, am I not?!!! It seems that everyone I know can get pregnant easily, except me! I hope the year 2012 will be a lucky year for us, and we will be finally parents :)
- —Guest Baby wish
- Alright, I did not find what I was looking for here except that many people seem to be doing the "every 3 days" or so (which is what I was thinking). Those who are TTC & having sex every day or multiple times a day - if you do it TOO OFTEN, it can actually be just as bad as not enough, etc. Even a completely healthy male will see a drop in sperm count with multiple times a day, so if you are every day, there is a very good chance that you are actually hurting your chances. To everyone, though, best of luck!!
- —Guest Amber
uuuugh! why not me?
- My husband and I have sex all the time 3-7 times a week or maybe even more. Depending on the mood really, we always have unprotected sex and he NEVER pulls out, but yet I never end up pregnant and it's sort of stressful. I know we are both capable of conceiving because i was pregnant once before *tragic loss :(* so now we both want a baby worse than ever..
- —Guest sha-na-na
Try, try and try again...
- My partner and I are busy trying to conceive. We have been making love at least every other day for the last six months. Although we've had a few false starts so far, we've not yet had a positive pregnancy test so far. Still, we're having lots of fun trying to make a new baby! ;)
- —Guest David
Having a baby is work!
- My husband and I have been together for 5 years. For the last 2 months I have been on Clomid and timing out our intercourse. The doctor says to do it EVERYDAY FOR 12 DAYS straight, by the third day we are both SICK OF IT and quit. I really want to be pregnant this month so I thought that buying a ovulation kit would help, now I'm reading that Clomid can cause false positives in the O.Kit and that makes me think that we are still going to have to do the deed all the time. Cross your fingers that this will be the last month we HAVE to have intercourse (Its so much better when we dont HAVE to do it).
- —Guest Becky
We been trying!
- We been married for 6 years, but until now we keep trying to get pregnant. My husband and I have sex at least twice a day, but still doesn't worked for us. We're both in a good health, we were hoping before end of this year will get lucky.
- —Guest Amerah
this did work for me
- H everyone I hope those who read this it will help them. I have been trying for almost two years and to no avail. Went to an RE and he told me to use the digital opk's with the smiley faces (clear blue). He also told me to baby dance every 4 days and the sperm shouldn't be less than three days old. And that when I got my smiley face on my OPK, I should baby dance only that night and the night after. So I kind of knew when I would ovulate depending on my cycle days (which by the way were irregular) and made sure my husband's sperm was older than 4 days. And for some reason if perfectly happened according to the timing. I unfortunately had a m/c with that baby, but am retrying again using the same method and hopefully will work.
- —Guest Cynthia
Every Single Day!
- My wife and I have it everyday ever since the fertile period starts and once every 3 days on normal days. Now she's pregnant, we wonder when is the best time to have sex during pregnancy .
Trying for a while
- My husband and I have been married for 7 years. We have a 4 year old child. My husband is 46 and I am 33, we've both been married before as well and no children for either of us, so when I got my baby, it was a great surprise, now my baby is asking for a brother or sister, and I got the bug to have one even more now. I mean we haven't really TTC, but we haven't stopped it either, so it seems for at least the past three years we've been unsuccessful. Both of us are overweight, and I see it as maybe being the issue. My husband however sees differently. Sex for me has become a chore sometimes, and I notice distance between us with work and child and all in between. I am gonna try to lose some weight to see if this helps, but feel very frustrated b/c everyone including me wants another baby. I am not getting any younger nor is my husband, so I am stumped and scared to find out what is wrong with us. Baby dust to all and hopefully to me too this year.......
worked for me
- I wanted a baby for so long. I tried about every day for a year with my boyfriend and nothing seemed to happen... When we had a feeling I might have been pregnant, my boyfriend freaked out and decided he wasn't ready, so we stopped trying... I ended up not being pregnant but a month after we stopped trying, I got pregnant with twins.
- —Guest dani