1. Health
Rachel Gurevich

Sarah Jessica Parker and Surrogacy

By May 3, 2009

According to several news reports, including Entertainment Weekly, Sarah Jessica Parker (best known for her role in the TV show and movie Sex in the City) and her husband Matthew Broderick are expecting twins via a surrogate mother.

Word has it that they struggled with getting pregnant back with their first son, and now, with their second, they again had trouble conceiving.

Iíve seen some speculation on whether or not the eggs are hers, since a 44 year old womanís eggs are less likely to lead to a successful pregnancy, even with IVF treatment. I did a little digging, and found sources that say that the eggs are in fact hers Ė but they are frozen embryos from about seven years before, when they had their now 6 year old son via IVF treatment.

Surrogacy is when another woman carries the pregnancy. The embryos are sometimes from the parents-to-be, and in other cases, they involve an egg donor. In this case, it seems the embryos are ďfrozen leftoversĒ from their first attempts at having children.

Thereís been lots of speculation on why Parker has chosen to use a surrogate, anything from vanity to movie-schedule practicalities. And I have to say, people online have not been very nice in their judgments of her.

What do I think? Well, I have no idea why she chose to use a surrogate, but Iím certainly not going to right away assume it has to do with looks or movie making. After all, she did have a baby (with her own body) seven years ago, with their first son. It could be a medical issue. It might be something else.

But when it comes down to it, really, itís none of our business.

Still, itís exciting to see a frozen embryo to surrogacy story in the news, and in a basically positive light. The media stories around infertility and fertility treatment have not been all butterflies and sunshine lately! Iím happy to have a good story circling now.

Comments
May 19, 2009 at 7:54 pm
(1) darrin says:

I would agree tht it none of our business if celebrities would agree not to release their personal information/gossip through paid publicists. Otherwise I have to assume that they want me to know and wonder what I don’t know.

May 19, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(2) Tina says:

Great story. It is NONE of anyone’s business. And just because she publically announced it DOES NOT GIVE ANYONE THE RIGHT TO ASSUME OR COMMENT ABOUT THE SITUATION.

I think it is great that you wrote this and added something positive. Im so sick and tired of reading NEGATIVE comments. It boggles my mind how we feel the right to tear someone down when WE DONT KNOW THEM. I mean WE WOULD NEVER WANT SOMEONE TO TREAT US LIKE THAT. Celebrity or NOT!

Good article. Nice to see something kind.

May 24, 2009 at 10:54 am
(3) baby2mom says:

Egg donation is a very private and confidential matter. If people have conceived through egg donation, this information should not be disclosed by any one – unless the recipient decides to make this information public.

May 25, 2009 at 11:22 pm
(4) Kayce says:

I think it is so cool that they are doing this. And it truly is none of people’s business that they are using a surrogate.

Thank you for posting something that was uplifting and wasn’t lashing out at them for their choice.

November 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm
(5) Jodelle says:

I had twins through IVF and have been curious if SJP and Broderick used egg donation or not. My twins were not through egg donation but given that the quality of my eggs was problematic I can understand completely why one would go that route.

How did you come to find that the eggs were likely hers via the frozen embryos from before?

April 3, 2011 at 4:57 am
(6) mary says:

It is not our business, apart from wanting to know about how these things work for people’s future reference if they were thinking of going down the same route. I have been blessed with 3 kids all mine and given birth by me, but I can fully appreciate the pain and anguish of those out there who try to have kids and can’t. If I were in their place and having kids was important to me, and I had the money, I would do exactly the same thing. Good luck to them!

January 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(7) Pat says:

Don’t think it really matters why she chose not to carry her children. If she had trouble conceiving her first child, perhaps she felt if she had the frozen embroys implanted that she possibly couldn’t carry to full term. Since the babies are biologically hers and her husband, the term for the woman carrying the babies is gestational host. The term surrogate is used when the eggs are of the woman carrying the baby and the husband of the other woman. So the baby is biologically the man’s and the woman carrying the baby. I know someone who used a gestational host many years ago because she had a partial hysterectomy. She has beautiful children and it seems they are very hands-on parents.